Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Pipitza and Mayocoba Bean Hummus

Pipitza and Mayo Coba Bean Hummus pipicha chepiche oaxacan herb tarragon-like



Pipitza. Pipicha. Chepiche. It goes by a few different names, this Oaxacan herb. A Farmer's market find.

Bubbling with enthusiasm, the farmer selling these at the market picked off a whole three-finger pinch of the wispy tarragon-like tender leaves from a fresh and dewy bunch and urged me to munch right then. Which I did. And boy was I in for a pleasant surprise! It exploded with flavor, unlike any other herb I have tried straight-up.

Of course, seeing how 'adventurous' I was, he also tore off a medium-sized papalo leaf and had me imitate a ruminating goat again.

Needless to say, I came home with a bunch of Pipitza and a bunch of Papalo and a bunch of Quelite plus a big grin on my face, along with recipe ideas the bubbling farmer had shared so eagerly.

This "hummus" recipe here was not one of them that he shared, but, this came about naturally in my kitchen as it seemed like a pita and hummus kind of day.


Pipitza and Mayo Coba Bean Hummus pipicha chepiche oaxacan herb tarragon-like


Mayocoba aka Peruano beans is one of my favorites for its mild flavor and meaty body which squishes to a creamy mush when pressure-cooked.

Very much like standard Chickpeas-and-Tahini hummus, this Pipitza and Peruano/MayoCoba bean hummus follows a simple recipe. As is my wont, I didn't measure accurately, resorting to add a little of this and a little of that until my taste buds nodded in approval.



Pipitza and Mayo Coba Bean Hummus pipicha chepiche oaxacan herb tarragon-like



Ingredients
2 to 2½ cups cooked mayocoba beans
¼ cup tahini
6 to 8 cloves of garlic
juice of one medium lemon, plus zest
2 Tablespoon pipitza leaves, plus a teaspoon chopped finely for garnish
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (more or less)
¼ cup olive oil
salt to taste

Blend to a coarse ( or smooth!) dip, adding more of this or less of that to suit your taste, and enjoy with pita and crudités.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older