Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing




Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing




I triumphantly waved a bunch of Papalo at the other adult when I got back from the farmer's market a few weeks ago, and promptly pinched off one sprightly leaf, offered it eagerly and focused on his reaction as he nibbled. Well, I needn't have focused so hard. The anguished mastication spoke volumes. And, was supplemented by a cocked eyebrow that queried, Did you just gather a bunch of weeds off the park on your way home?

Well!

So, I started gushing about this genuine farmer I met and the Oaxacan herbs he was selling at his stand in the farmer's market, and narrated the Pipitza episode that I shared here recently. And then, I brandished the Quelite bunch, which didn't help my cause.

Papalo is an acquired taste, much like cilantro can be. It has a strong presence with citrus undertones, and can be quite overpowering. But chopped and added to a quick fresh salad, in small quantities, it brings a distinctive flavor, much like Mesclun greens with its strong/bitter leaves may not be everybody's cup of tea.


Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing



I had some fresh baby Mustard Greens in the garden. They start out mildly sweet when you pop a few in the mouth, and then when you chew, the mildly pungent explosion is very appealing, not at all offensive.





I also had some baby beet greens in the garden. They make a fine addition to fresh salad.





Plus these gorgeous baby Romaine leaves. It is my obsession this year in my home garden. Early in the gardening season, I started saving the bottom 3 inches of Romaine hearts I bought from the store, and planting them in the garden box when it was still cool. As long as I keep picking off the young outer leaves, these Romaine bunches keep growing without much fuss. And I rather like these tender leaves in fresh summer salads.



Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing



The dressing was a "goddess" style dressing - rich and creamy - made with mayocoba beans plus tahini and red wine vinegar and lemon juice and Tabasco sauce and Bragg Liquid Aminos and olive oil -- a little of this and a little of that till it tastes just right.



Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing



I tend not to jot down the details of dressing and dips and vinaigrette that come about in my kitchen, especially since they are rarely planned and measured in any methodical fashion. The nice thing about having a wide selection of condiments from various cuisines is that it aids and abets my fascination with fusion cuisine. Well, the downside to not noting down the ingredients and proportions is, of course, I can never recreate the exact same magic the next time... C'est la vie!




Papalo with Baby Romaine, Tender Mustard Greens, and Delicate Beet Greens Salad with Mayocoba Bean Dressing



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older