Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Creamy Kohlrabi Au Gratin


Creamy Kohlrabi Au Gratin



At the risk of imitating a broken record, I must mention that I love kohlrabi from the tip of its gorgeous greens to the bottom of its knobby bulb, and can't walk by a bunch at the market without bringing it home.

One such bunch got made into this quick and simple Kohlrabi gratin. Casseroles and gratins are a fun vegetarian side for weeknight meals, but, this gratinée took center stage, supplemented by some hemp seed bread and a quick kale+feta salad. For the adults at least. Kids didn't seem that thrilled, but, I am not giving up...

Slice the Kohlrabi to uniform thickness for even cooking.




To speed things up on a weeknight, I par-cook the sliced kohlrabi in the microwave with a couple of tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt, covered, and then assemble the items in the casserole dish.

Some heavy cream and cheese, stirred with some salt and black pepper is all it takes to make this delicious kohlrabi gratin. I used a combination of smoked cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella, but any favorite cheese that melts and crsuts would probably be fine.

Since I was cooking in portioned single-serve casserole dishes, I baked them in a 400° F oven, for about 15 minutes till bubbly and then finished off under the broiler to get that top crust. Breadcrumbs optional - I used a small scoop of Panko breadcrumbs for the crusty topping on some but omitted it in others.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older